Fashion Tips for $10 or Less!

Real things for people who don't have the money for high style but the passion for fashion.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bleach Painting

Bleach painting is an inexpensive way for you to reinvent old t-shirts.
All you need is:
-Paint brushes
-Bleach
-Plastic bags
-Colored cotton t-shirt


First place plastic in-between the layers of the fabric, otherwise the bleach may bleed through to the other sides of the garment.

Then, Use the bleach like you would paint. I recommend using Splashless bleach, its a bit thicker than regular bleach, and would drip and spread as much, if you're looking for a clean line look.

An added technique is to have different ratios of water to bleach. By adding different amounts of water, you can different values of bleaching. You can have a more 3D effect that way. I suggest using scrap fabric to test the effects of bleach. I also suggest you layout the design first. The bleach is VERY permanent, so be careful!
                                                            
     Here's the back of dress I did where I used the same bleaching technique. 
There's a lot of different ideas you could do. I thinks stripes or flames would be a really cool effect. Or, just painting a really cool graphic would be a real exciting design.

3 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this! I have gotten so many ideas from your blog. I am going to have a busy day tomorrow trying these out, haha! Question: Did you find that the bleach had ruined your brushes at all? Just asking so I don't use my good brushes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete