Fashion Tips for $10 or Less!

Real things for people who don't have the money for high style but the passion for fashion.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fashion Q&A #1

So I've recently been getting a lot of questions via formspring (http://www.formspring.me/jordanblake) about fashion. So I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to share some of the questions I get with my blog viewers! I plan on posting fashion related questions here as long as they keep coming!

QUESTION 1:

i hate birkenstock style shoes and mocassins. what other types of shoes can i wear with skinny jeans, to school may i add (no heels), besides converse & boots? it is also very cold to be wearing flats

I hate those too! Well, I particularly love combat boots, their a lot better than UGGS (or should I say UGG-LYS), that are winter appropriate, and trendy. But if you don't like boots, there's the option of the Oxford-style shoe. Here's a link to Urban Outfitters shoes:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?popId=WOMENS&navAction=poppushpush&isSortBy=true&navCount=207&pushId=WOMENS_SHOES&id=W_SHOES_LACEUPS
I love this oxford style with skinny jeans. But if that's a little too hyper trendy for your taste here's another option, high top gym shoes:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?popId=WOMENS&navAction=poppushpush&isSortBy=true&navCount=234&pushId=WOMENS_SHOES&id=W_SHOES_SNEAKERS
They go with everything, their comfortable, and not too out there. I'm also a fan of the a low boot-let style shoe. Here's what I mean:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18600452&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump

Hope that all helps!

QUESTION 2:



I have two fashion questions! 1st… I am just curious what your opinions are on Ugg shoes & Ugg lookalikes & Birkenstocks & Birkenstock lookalikes. 2nd… What do you think of the trend of people wearing shorts + tights together?

I HATE UGGS AND I HATE BIRKENSTOCKS. Yes, I know their comfortable. But, there's a point at which it just looks ridiculous. I watched an interview of Tim Gunn (fashion guru from Project Runway), and he said this about people who dress for comfort, "If you want to dress as though you never got out of bed, THEN DON'T GET OUT OF BED." What he means to say is that people are getting lazy with their clothing. I think those looks just add to the excuses people have when it comes to quality taste.


And the trend of shorts and tights together. That one is really up in the air. It really depends on your body type and personal style. I don't think it looks good on people with larger hips, unless the short is a bit more voluminous than their actual hip line. If the shorts aren't right for your body, TIGHTS WON'T HELP. I think if people would wear proper fitting shorts that are the appropriate length for their body, the trend is not a bad one.

QUESTION 3:



You said you hate uggs, which is fair, but if I wear my "nice" boots that have heels, it starts to really hurt my feet. Can I make that stop?

Well let me just say, if your feet are hurting, DO NOT WEAR UGGS. According to an article in the New York Times, UGGS can cause major damage. They flatten your arches, which can cause foot, ankle, and even hip problems. What you should turn to is getting inserts that have the proper support for your foot. There are shoes that are both comfortable and stylish, you just need to find ones that work for you.
Here's a link to that article I referred to:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_wearing_ugg_boots_for_long_periods_of_time_ruining_womens_feet_experts_say.html

QUESTION 4:



hey, im a guy & i have these white jeans that are unflattering to me and I want to dye them some other color....what do you think I should dye them to? nothing to crazy....but I have black jeans and like dark blue and gray...but, I just am stumped.

Well, what a cool project. A blank canvas! If you don't want to go to crazy I think what could be interesting is if you wet the jeans first. Then take black dye and kind of wash it over the jeans, perhaps splashing it in different areas. That way it could have like different shades of grays and blacks, with some abstract shapes. Depending on how much water you use, the effect could be really subtle, which wouldn't be too crazy.

QUESTION 5:



leggings as pants? acceptable?

As a good rule of thumb, NO. BUT, there are exceptions to every rule. I have seen the look pulled off successfully very few times. About 98% of girls who I see this look in, it looks completely horrible for their body type. I'm all for personal style, but it has to fit with your figure. For example, I'm very skinny, if I decided to wear excessively baggy clothes, I would look like a child swimming in his dad's clothes, which destroys the purpose of that. So here's the deal, I like leggings as pants if one- you have the body type to wear leggings, meaning you don't have wide hips, Two-they either look EXACTLY like jeans or have cool or interesting pattern. Three- they are worn the right way, meaning they are styled interestingly and uniquely, by wearing a unique silhouette top of some kind and/or the right shoe.


Do you have a fashion question you want my opinion on? Leave a comment or go to to my formspring and ask:


http://www.formspring.me/jordanblake

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I had just come across this site and I love it! It is exactly what I have been looking for. However, I had noticed there have not been any new posts for a while and was wondering if you were planning on doing so again in the near future. Hope to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete